Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Pellet Smoker vs Real Wood

About a week ago, I wrote a post about all of the different types of smokers. Smokers come in all different types, shapes, and sizes. You have offsets, box smokers, electric smokers, propane-fueled smokers, kettle smokers, and the seemingly ever popular pellet smokers. These pellet smokers seem to have exploded on to the market in the past few years, giving way to a whole sect of the population who is suddenly crazy about smoking meats.

Stack of Firewood


But, there’s a problem with that. Over the weekend I went to my local Lowe’s to get some more firewood for my rotisserie and was disappointed to find that they seem to only carry campfire wood, not exactly something you want to cook with, and a whole aisle full of a variety of manufactured pellets. That’s great if you use a pellet smoker. But for me, a pellet smoker is like an infomercial I saw on TV years ago for an electric countertop home rotisserie. The man peddling this product would say, “Set it and forget it!” Well, I don’t want to set my smoker and forget it.

For me, part of the joy of cooking is the experience of actually cooking. I’ll even forgive the electric and propane type smokers. With these, you still have to go out there and add wood chips from time to time. I enjoy the work of cooking, not just eating what I’ve made. I enjoy putting all of the ingredients together to make something delicious. Even more, I enjoy checking on anything that I have slow cooking, say like something on the smoker. Going outside to check on the grill and see if the fire is still where I want it to be is therapeutic. I can only imagine that checking on a hopper full of pellets in your pellet smoker is less than fulfilling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AdSense

Kitchen Knives are a Cook's Best Friend

When it comes to cooking, kitchen knives are a cook's best friend. They're an extension of the cook's body.  Knives But with so ...