Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Kitchen Knives are a Cook's Best Friend

When it comes to cooking, kitchen knives are a cook's best friend. They're an extension of the cook's body. 

Knives
But with so many options out there, which ones are the right ones?

People tend to make the mistake of buying a set of kitchen knives when they are first starting out. I've done this too, so don't feel bad if you have. The problem with knife sets is that you will end up with extra knives that don't really have a use. You'll also spend extra money on these extra knives. By knowing what you need, you can piece together a knife set just for you.

Just about every one of my knives is an old J. A Henckels. There are other, nicer brands out there, but the ones that I have work great for me.


 

  • 12-inch Chef Knife - I use this one for large work. Usually, this is things like watermelons, brisket, turkey, etc
  • 8-inch Chef Knife - I use this for general everyday work. I can make quick work of dicing vegetables or breaking down a chicken.
  • 7-inch Santoku Knife - This is my number 1 knife. It seems faster and sharper than the chef's knife and I can control it a little better, which helps me chop vegetables easier.
  • Boning Knife - I don't use this one every day, but it's a good one to have. It's flexible to get into tight areas when you are breaking down a piece of meat.
  • Bread Knife - This is a great knife to have around for bread. It doesn't matter how sharp your chef's knife is, chances are you will end up flattening it. The serrated bread knife will cut through it without flattening it out.
  • Paring Knife - This little knife is great delicate work. I use it sometimes to remove the tops off of peppers or quickly cut up strawberries or peel a potato. But where it really shines, is decorative garnishes. (Which I cannot do.)
  • Honer - This is not a knife, but a good honer is indispensable. It will help you keep your kitchen knives sharp. Run your knives across it before use and after you clean them after each use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AdSense

Kitchen Knives are a Cook's Best Friend

When it comes to cooking, kitchen knives are a cook's best friend. They're an extension of the cook's body.  Knives But with so ...